Plants need eyes, right? Maybe not. But these floppy heaps of native grasses that my HOA planted in front of my house needed something, especially for Halloween. Giving your plant eyes is easy. These were made out of ping-pong balls (with circles drawn on with permanent marker) hot glued to wooden skewers. You just stick the skewers in the ground and you’re good to go. If you had a shrub, you could glue a loop of string instead of the skewer and hang them on a branch like Christmas ornaments. I have been contemplating how to make teeth for my little grass buddies next, you know, just to make sure the neighbors really question my sanity.
Tag Archives: halloween
I’m sitting in a meeting for a geospatial technical group that I am a part of. Everyone at the meeting knows some fancy map-related software in depth, but we don’t all know the same things. As people present their work, I’m interested, but I can’t possibly understand all the details. How do I cope? Back in high school, I’d be doodling in the margins of my notebook. Today, I’m doodling in Inkscape, and no one minds because it’s a geek conference. So to keep myself busy, I made this owl. Enjoy.
It’s October, so it’s time for costumes! Last fall, I made sheep and wolf costumes for a performance of the Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre that was called “Sheep/Wolves/We The People”. I made 6 sheep costumes for the apprentice company, which they used in several numbers throughout the work. Above, you’ll find the video of the Sheep/Wolf Rap. Unfortunately, I don’t have any still shots of someone wearing the finished product, but a video is also helpful. Note that these costumes took quite a bit of abuse – several dress rehearsals and three performances!
Here’s how I made them…
For the shirt, you’ll need HEAPS of cotton balls, hot glue, and a white men’s undershirt tank. The shirt needs to be a size or two larger than you (or the person who will wear the costume) would normally wear because once you’re done gluing on the cotton balls, the fabric won’t stretch as much. The procedure is simple. First, stretch out the shirt a little. Next, I found it helpful to loosen the cotton balls. The are made of cotton sheets wound up in a spiral, so if you loosen them up, they get bigger so you need fewer of them. Finally, glue them on. You’ll need to find a balance between too much glue and not enough. An X across the cotton ball would be a good way to secure them. Occasionally, I didn’t secure the middle of a cotton spiral, and they came out. In the video you can see some dangling.
For the hat, you’ll need a fabric marker, snaps or velcro closures, black felt for the ears, and white felt for the hat part. To make the shape of the hood, I traced another person’s head profile and cut it a little larger to allow for the seam and some extra room. You can always sew the seam tighter, but it’s hard to add fabric once you’ve cut it. I also made a tab of fabric that goes around the neck. You’ll cut out 2 of the white hood shapes and sew them together along the top and back of the head. Add your snap or velcro to the neck tab. Finally, cut out 2 matching black ears and attach them, and you’re done.