I finally finished this next block in my Charley Harper needle turn quilt. This one took a long time – about 4 months – to finish. Not only are there a lot of details to sew on, like lots of leaves with embroidery and about 50 sunflower seeds, I was working on this one in the fall months. Fall’s generally a pretty busy time of year with holidays and then there’s those colds that get passed around and I was in the process of changing jobs, so this block took a back seat to everything. This one marks the halfway point in terms of the number of blocks, but in terms of area, I’m more than half way because I’ve finished two of the biggest blocks.
As I’m working, I’m constantly reminding myself that the goal of this project is not exact replication of the original art but to capture it’s essence, it’s playful, delightful shapes. I had to let go of a lot of details. If you compare this block to the original work by Charley Harper, you’ll notice that I left out the holes on the leaves. I may go back at some point and add those, but really, this block has so much detail (and I find small pieces to be really difficult to applique) that I decided for now that I can leave them off. Another important lesson that I’m still learning is that precision is pretty difficult with needle turn. In spite of my best efforts, some things don’t line up the way Harper’s did. That’s ok. I’m pretty sure most people that see this quilt aren’t going to notice. I only see it because I’ve been working so close to it and having to deal with the implications of some pieces not quite lining up.